Capturing my latest research in The Memory Keeper

 On a recent "Dead Ancestors Tour" (a genealogical vacation) I captured photographs of headstones of my 4x great grandparents, Peter William Ruttan and Fannie Roblin. Next to Peter is his second wife Mary Spaulding.

Peter was a United Empire Loyalist (UEL), American who remained loyal to the British during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. His father William Ruttan, also a UEL, came to Canada with their family after the Revolutionary War.

During the War of 1812, Peter was a sergeant in the first Regiment of Lennox militia. His captain was Thomas Dorland who ran an early Glenora ferry between Glenora and Dorland's point (connecting Prince Edward County and Lennox and Addington County in Ontario Canada).

Peter William Ruttan’s headstone, along with his wife's markers I found in Sophiasburg Cemetery, Sophiasburg township, in Prince Edward County, Ontario. A separate marker indicates the stones were moved from lot 34, concession 1, west of Green Point, to Sophiasburgh cemetery.

When I looked up the lot in an old map of Sophiasburg I had a dyslexic moment and looked up lot 23--the wrong lot. Lot 23 was owned by Peter’s son David. Oh, the mistakes we make. 

However, the Ontario Genealogical Society identifies a cemetery here on lot 23 as a Ruttan Cemetery.

https://vitacollections.ca/ogscollections/2722228/data?n=25

I would think it would make more sense that Peter Ruttan was buried in a Ruttan plot (lot 23) than a Roblin plot (lot 34).

Peter William Ruttan is a well-known UEL. Therefore, there are plenty of other researchers' work to review. I think my dyslexic moment is correct. Example:

https://gravesideproject.ca/?p=4619

When I add a burial memorial to Memory Keeper I create a source entry. It is a source document. Depending on the information provided on the stone I will associate the source with whatever the evidence provides. The easy bit is to associate the source with the people identified on the stone and the location where I found the stone. Next, I’ll review all dates associating those dates with the event entries in Memory Keeper. Typically we find a death date on the stone, but we could have birth and marriage dates. Many times the birth date is not present but the age of the individual at death is. In either case, this would be associated with the birth event. 

To identify a burial location I typically associate it with a burial event. A burial location is not something I associate directly with a person. 

It is helpful when you open an event record to find all the sources you have associated with it.  I have more research and evidence to gather.


Once I got back from the Dead Ancestors Tour I found out the Lennox and Addington Archives has an original document collection of John Benson. John is my 3x great-grandfather. John married Peter Ruttan's daughter, Ruth Ruttan. Gee, I was just there. Oh well. I have added the task with a reminder in Memory Keeper for my next tour. 



Comments

Popular Posts