How I save changes and perform backups of The Memory Keeper

 I maintain more than a single file backup. I keep three disk image replications. All my photographs, music, and genealogy records are archived to one disk, that is replicated to two other disks. In this way, if I have two disk failures, I can still retrieve my data. I am telling you this to emphasize how important backing up files can be.

When it comes to backing up TiddlyWiki content I take it to a higher level. I have hosted TiddlyWiki solutions on various online and offline services, but I seem to stick with the single-HTML file approach with Memory Keeper. For a given project I create a dedicated project folder to house it. Subfolders are generated to house various external content, such as photographs and documents. Instead of embedding photographs and documents in TiddlyWiki, it is better to reference external files. In the root project folder goes the Memory Keeper (MK) TiddlyWiki HTML file. I immediately rename the newly downloaded MK file to something that reflects my project. When I started my North American Aboriginal project, I named the file: TribalConnections_0001.html. The four-digit number reflects the version of the file. You could use various formats for this. Perhaps you prefer TribalConnections_01.00.0001.html.

In MK, on the Settings page, there is a ''Filename prefix:'' setting that is used to define the file name prefix of your project file name. Depending on the format you select will depend on how you should set this setting.

I would set it to TribalConnection_ for my first example or TribalConnections_01.00. in my second example.


After making the change I would save the project file as TribalConnections_0002.html or TribalConnections_01.00.0002.html. Now when I reopen the project MK will immediately on startup will parse the filename against the Filename prefix setting. On startup, if the prefix setting value matches the file that is opened, Memory Keeper will capture the current version number. In this way, upon future instances of saving the project, it will automatically increment the four-digit version on the end and use that value to save changes. Therefore, in my case, it will automatically set the next filename to be saved as TribalConnections_0003.html or TribalConnections_01.00.0003.html.

In this way you are continuously backing up your project. When I get an overwhelming number of backed-up HTML files, I archive them. If I accidentally delete a tiddler I can go back in the history of my backups and attempt to locate a version of the file that has the missing tiddler.

Comments

Popular Posts